R1 27 Ohm 5W Resistor or 27 Ohm 10W Resistor
R2 240 Ohm 5W Resistor or 240 Ohm 10W Resistor
BR1 50 Volt, 6 Amp Bridge Rectifier
C1 8000uf, 35 Volt Capacitor
Q1, Q2 2N3055 NPN Power Transistor
T1 24V 5A Transformer (See “Notes”)
T2 TV Flyback Transformer (See “Notes”)
S1 115V 3A SPST Switch
MISC Case, Wire, Heatsinks, Line Cord
1. T2 is a high voltage flyback transformer salvaged from an old TV, or ordered from Fair Radio Sales (see Where To Get Parts). Look for the biggest, most intimidating transformer you can find. Old tube TV’s are a good place to look. The transformer should not have a rectifier built in.
2. You will need to rewind the transformer’s primary. First, remove the old primary, being careful not to damage the high voltage secondary. If the transformer is wound with all windings incased in plastic, use another transformer. Second, wind on 5 turns of 18 AWG wire, twist a loop (center tap), and then wind on 5 more turns. This becomes winding C-D. Now, wind on 2 turns of 22 AWG wire, twist a loop, and wind on 2 more turns. This becomes winding A-B.
3. Q1 and Q2 will run HOT if not used with a large heatsink. After the circuit has been running for a minute or two, you should still be able to put your finger on the transistors without being burnt. Also, R1 and R2 will run hot.
4. If you experience arcing on the exposed transformer leads, select a lower voltage for T1. If you are powering the circuit with a power supply (see Power Supply), just crank down the voltage.
5. For a real high voltage output, connect a voltage multiplier (from an old TV or computer monitor) to the output of T2.
6. If the circuit does not work, reverse connections A and B.
7. I finally got around to taking some pictures of the circuit in operation.
1N4007 Silicon Diode Laser Power Supply
1N4007 Silicon Diode Laser Power Supply If you have ever worked with lasers, you know how fun and interesting it can be, you also know ...
12V DC Motor Wind Turbine
12 volt Wind Turbine It is possible to use a 12V DC motor (I assume its a car starter motor) as a wind turbine generator ...
0-1000 Volt Regulated High Voltage Power Supply IC 7805
1000 Volt DC to DC Regulator Circuit Input voltage from high voltage DC DC converter is 12V AC*at 800mA current and then converted to ...
AC Power Supply-Low Voltage
Here's AC power supply circuit with low voltage output (step down transformer converter). Warning! This project involves the use of dangerous voltages. You must make ...
DC-DC Converter 12V to 120V 20W
Here is a DC to DC Converter schematic. The design is a simple saturation-limited push-pull converter. There is no special reason to use PNP transistors. ...